SYRIAN SLAUGHTER: QATAR CALLS FOR MILITARY INTERVENTION

BBC News on January 14, 2012, reported that the ruler of the Gulf state of Qatar has said Arab countries should send troops into Syria to stop government forces killing civilians there. Excerpts below:

Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani told US television channel CBS “some troops should go to stop the killing”.

It is the first time an Arab leader has publicly called for military intervention in Syria.

More than 5,000 civilians have been killed since anti-government protests erupted in Syria in March, the UN says.

Qatar was the first Arab country to join the Nato-led operation in Libya, which led to the downfall of Libyan leader Col Muammar Gaddafi.

It has also led regional criticism of the crackdowns on protesters by President Bashar al-Assad in Syria and in Yemen by President Ali Abdullah Saleh.

Qatar played a key role in bringing down the Libyan dictator, Colonel Gaddafi. It gave extensive financial and material support to Libya’s rebels. There was no question of “putting boots on the ground” but it did offer air support to Nato.

The Arab League dispatched 165 observers to Syria to monitor compliance with a peace plan, but members have expressed doubts as to the mission’s efficacy.

Two Kuwaiti observers were wounded when their convoy was attacked in the city of Latakia. Plans to extend the mission were put on hold as a result of the incident.

The observers are due to complete their initial four-week deployment on 19 January. Their report will be discussed by Arab League foreign ministers at a meeting next Saturday.

The league has said it may refer Syria to the UN Security Council if the monitors’ report is negative.

China and Russia have so far blocked any UN action on Syria, fearing a Security Council resolution could lead to another international intervention, such as occurred with Libya.

Syria deaths

• More than 5,000 civilians have been killed, says the UN
• More than 400 killed since start of Arab League mission on 26 December
• UN denied access to Syria
• Information gathered from NGOs, sources in Syria and Syrians who have fled
• Vast majority of casualties were unarmed, but the figure may include armed defectors
• Tally does not include serving members of the security forces

Source: UN’s OHCHR

In Syria, troops backed by tanks are continuing an assault, begun on January 13, on the rebellious mountain town of Zabadani, near the Lebanese border, witnesses say.

Reuters news agency quoted an exiled opposition leader as saying 40 people in the town were injured in the fighting on Saturday.

It was the biggest attack on opponents of Mr Assad since the Arab observers began work on December 26, Reuters said.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: